Monday, November 10, 2014

#ifly

From clinics to emergency flights to doctor and patient transfers...there aren't many dull moments here at Flying Medical Service.  However, today it's nice to sit at my desk, drink coffee, and wait for radio call. We do radio calls four times per day to check in with the pilot on the field...it's the only way to communicate with the pilot while they are at our most remote airstrips.  One of the other pilot's is on clinic in Simanjiro until Wednesday, and I'm flying Loliondo clinics Thursday-Saturday.  My boss is in Nairobi with our second aircraft...should be in Arusha sometime this week!

It's been a busy few months, but the busier we are the more people we are helping.  There are times when I don't feel like going on clinics or living such a hectic lifestyle, but then at those few airstrips, when I get out of the plane and I'm greeted by fifteen little Maasai children saying, "Elsa, Elsa!"  it's worth it.  It's such a special life.  No matter how rough or unglamorous it may feel most days--the joy that's found in this work is pretty incredible.

Last Sunday, I had an emergency flight from Kilimanjaro to Nairobi for a two year old girl who fell off of a chair.  We were worried about possible bleeding on the brain, thankfully, all was cleared after she was examined at Aga Khan.  I'm so glad that a skill I learned as a teen (flying) is now something I can use in so many different situations to help!

"God always gives His best to those who leave the choice with Him." ~Jim Elliot





No comments: