Saturday, April 20, 2013

Part 2: 22 Things About Africa

"One of the worst things sin did for man was to make him selfish, for selfishness cannot love." ~Andrew Murray


When I think of selfishness I automatically feel guilty.  Sometimes, I know when I'm being selfish. Other times, I'm completely clueless until someone points it out to me.  I think a lot of selfishness stems from insecurity.  When I'm feeling confident I usually stop thinking about myself and focus on others.  I am able to focus on people's needs, wants, and dreams instead of focusing on my own. During this time I am happiest.  What I've realized is it's not fun thinking about yourself all of the time, actually, it's downright boring.  When I'm thinking about myself, what I want, or how I look, I get all insecure and usually pretty needy.  It's times like these when I really want to talk to my mom.  My mom is amazing...she encourages as well as snaps me out of my selfish "all about me" attitude.  I am blessed to have someone who will tell me to stop talking about myself, or tell me how I need to change the way I'm viewing certain aspects of life. 

Beauty is selflessness. It's why when we see photos of a person doing something to help another we instantly respond with a sense of wonder at that person's goodness.  Goodness is selflessness. 

Selflessness gives us the ability to love, and love gives us the ability to have joy. 

In the end...selflessness is freedom.

Galatians 2:20~I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.  The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. 


2 comments:

Modern Day Hannah said...

Great reminder Elsa :) Miss you.

Cheryl Klarich said...

Elsa, you are so beautiful--inside and out!
You are loved for who you are. Always.
(((hugs)))